Portage eapi 8

All Linux talk goes here. Technical talk. No Distro politics, please use the "General" forum for that
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Portage eapi 8

Post by otw-refugee »

I have an old version that stopped at eapi 7 (don't know why I haven't upgraded) but has anyone moved to the latest portage and still have old ebuilds in the local repo and have there been any problems with the older eapi ebuilds?

As a side note, I'm not happy with this insane bumping of eapi levels, it's not been that long that we've been at 7 and maybe that's why I stopped upgrading portage when I saw eapi 8 start appearing, waiting to see if there were problems.
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
Naib
Site Admin

Re: Portage eapi 8

Post by Naib »

As a side note, I'm not happy with this insane bumping of eapi levels, it's not been that long that we've been at 7 and maybe that's why I stopped upgrading portage when I saw eapi 8 start appearing, waiting to see if there were problems.
This was the straw that broke the camels back with regards to my headless at home... I update it every 1-3 months and when I got round to updating I was hit by the python mess as they depreciated loads, gcc/libc mess as they pulled those and then EAPI depreciation so I could not emerge portage as it needed newer python, I could not emerge python because it needed newer EAPI.

Every time I tried to unpick part of it to move on to the next mess it was getting worse... so backup, download alpine, burn to metal and I have not looked back since...

This insistence of bumping every ebuild to point to a newer EAPI (even if it is not even using any of the features) AND then depreciating the EAPI is causing community maintenance of ebuild a lot of churn since such discussions are either on the dev's irc (or if you are lucky) the mailing list and unless you ride these dev's the only time you know it is occurring is when it breaks yours or other overlays (and then you get met with the typical condescending developers response...). They keep heameraging packages and thus the significance of community ebuilds becomes that much important but if they drive them away then the users will also leave...

This is the #1 reason why I stopped writing ebuilds and then eventually stopped using overlays... the day the packages I need are no longer in gentoo is the day my desktop is rebuilt to Artix
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

I did find a way to make portage shut up and accept EAPI 8 ebuilds.
The eapi level is set in /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/portage/const.py (on my system) I changed it from 7 to 8 and it looks like it will work.
That leaves my lowest eapi levels alone, which is what I was worried about when going to eapi 8.

Still on sys-apps/portage-3.0.18.

But it more and more seems as though they're trying to get people to either accept what the GEM's think best or leave.

GEM = gentoo ebuild maintainer as opposed to a real developer :lol:

e3k
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by e3k »

no i did install arch linux on that box where it happened.
O.o
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

speaking of artix
Artix has reached the stage where it can operate without the help of the Arch repositories, including the preparation of its installation media. As such, all new weekly ISO images will ship without [extra], [community] and [multilib] enabled in pacman.conf. Existing setups will not be affected, but new users may want to enable them and benefit from the additional packages. Instructions are provided in our wiki.
It's nice that they offer openrc or runit or s6. *two thumbs up*

Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

yup, that is why it is my backup distro for my desktop
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

and this is the issue I faced, but a bit more messy...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1142424.html

otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

The current version of portage supports EAPI '7'....
Yep, that's the message I got then went chasing to figure out how to shut it up.

Code: Select all

/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/portage $ grep EAPI const.py*
const.py:EAPI                     = 8
const.py.orig:EAPI                     = 7
In my case it was changing the EAPI (of an older portage) to 8 and most things work, I had one weird thing with a strange dosym, but I worked around that.

awillserver
Sanitation Engineer

Post by awillserver »

Code: Select all

cp -fr /usr/portage /usr/portage.bak
emerge --sync
cd /usr/portage/dev-python
find * -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i -e 's/EAPI=8/EAPI=7/g'
repoman manifest
Every single python package on eapi8 doesn't use eapi8 specific features, so just change it back to 7 and upgrade per usual. Bit of a whammy piling those other major changes, libressl, eudev, perl, and ruby on all this. New users be damned by the GEM's appearently, imagine if they actually did systems planning for the betterment of the users and devs, instead of just updating to the latest and greatest in uselessness, needlessly. This always having the latest mindset is cancer to a stable system and why are nearly all the GEM's infected by it?
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

awillserver wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:10 pmThis always having the latest mindset is cancer to a stable system and why are nearly all the GEM's infected by it?
To be fair, this seems to be a larger syndrome of the IT world in general since the "agile" mentality took hold... see Windows 10, Firefox, etc.
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."