Raspberry Pi alternitives

Discussions about computer hardware.
Smug
Sanitation Engineer

Raspberry Pi alternitives

Post by Smug »

Does anyone know of good SoCs or small computers that make good replacements for the the Raspberry Pi's? I'm looking for a small computer I can use on my LAN for things like network wide adblocking or streaming video from a media server. Everyone suggests the Rpi's but they require binary blobs and non-free drivers. I'd like to get something that I could put a fully libre kernel on. It does not have to be ARM in fact I'd probably prefer something x86-64 or RISC-V.
antae
Director of Sandbags

Re: Raspberry Pi alternitives

Post by antae »

RPi is just a toy, I do not recommend it neither for traffic filtering, nor media streaming. You need a proper hardware for your router replacement.
Look at fanless boxes with two or more network cards, for example j1900. Small size, no extreme heat and it can be put in the corner like any other router.
Sellers offer wifi card, do not buy it, because they will send broadcom which is a headache and it can not 5GHz.
Seller sent me broadcom which I use for 2.4GHz, and for 5GHz I bought usb card 2357:0115 and took drivers from here https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu
How it is with libreness - IDK, it just silently works in the corner, it runs Gentoo and filters content I do not want to see.
Works much better than consumer routers from local shops, and the main thing is that it is controllable, and software can be updated any time, not like gnusmaS and Co do: two years then no updates and dance like you want.
Random image from the internet to show the idea:
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

What are you after doing? My poison is arduino's (or custom design) but I am on the hardware side of things.
The Intel Galileo2 isn't too bad as an "alternative" to Rpi
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

Lots of neat Pine64 solutions, including some interesting cluster solutions.

https://www.pine64.org/
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

LOLIN S2 Pico is a good choice, ESP32-S2 based

https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/09/15 ... d-display/
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king