BBC licence fee in CHAOS

User avatar
john-boy
Global Moderator
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:23 am
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by john-boy »

Morality124 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Ralphred wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:46 ambut as long as you only use DVB/your TV set to listen to the radio, you don't need a license.
What are all the TV use exceptions?
Pretty much as mentioned in the comments above, I did a fair bit of research before ditching my licence - even contacted Capita for clarification over some details (they never actually got back to me, I wanted something hard in email. Not a surprise).

If you watch a live broadcast in UK or watch BBC iplayer you need a licence. That's it.

Radio, catch up (providing it's not iplayer) is fine. Amazon Prime is ok - so long as it's not one of the live sporting events, this point gets a bit tricky, in theory if you're watching a TV show on Channel 4 catch up and that show is also being live broadcast - you're in breach.

What's not on is anything live broadcast, so local TV stations (Chanel 4, 5, Sky - even foreign satellite) are off the menu.

Anything catch up is fine. You can have a TV aerial, a satellite dish - you can even leave everything connected and tuned in. So long as you don't watch live TV, you're golden. Of course if you let an inspector in (and that's a bad idea), good luck proving that.

As for me ? I left the aerial in, satellite dish too. I disconnected everything and detuned. I don't plan on letting inspectors (salesmen) into my property either.

This is one of the reasons why I hate the BBC. I don't need to go to these lengths if I want to stop watching Netflix etc. I can stop and then restart when there's something good to watch, no questions.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
User avatar
Morality124
Global Moderator
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by Morality124 »

john-boy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:20 pm
Morality124 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Ralphred wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:46 ambut as long as you only use DVB/your TV set to listen to the radio, you don't need a license.
What are all the TV use exceptions?
Pretty much as mentioned in the comments above, I did a fair bit of research before ditching my licence - even contacted Capita for clarification over some details (they never actually got back to me, I wanted something hard in email. Not a surprise).

If you watch a live broadcast in UK or watch BBC iplayer you need a licence. That's it.

Radio, catch up (providing it's not iplayer) is fine. Amazon Prime is ok - so long as it's not one of the live sporting events, this point gets a bit tricky, in theory if you're watching a TV show on Channel 4 catch up and that show is also being live broadcast - you're in breach.

What's not on is anything live broadcast, so local TV stations (Chanel 4, 5, Sky - even foreign satellite) are off the menu.

Anything catch up is fine. You can have a TV aerial, a satellite dish - you can even leave everything connected and tuned in. So long as you don't watch live TV, you're golden. Of course if you let an inspector in (and that's a bad idea), good luck proving that.

As for me ? I left the aerial in, satellite dish too. I disconnected everything and detuned. I don't plan on letting inspectors (salesmen) into my property either.

This is one of the reasons why I hate the BBC. I don't need to go to these lengths if I want to stop watching Netflix etc. I can stop and then restart when there's something good to watch, no questions.
That anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
User avatar
john-boy
Global Moderator
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:23 am
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by john-boy »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 am That anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.

It's a generational thing, my parents age group tended to have the message "you must have a TV licence and if you don't you're a criminal and will probably go to prison" (you won't but that's besides the point) hammered into them. Also back then, TV tended to be better - hasn't aged well, but at the time it was good. So all in all, a licence fee wasn't such a bad thing.

I had some of that growing up, hence my extremely cautious approach to dropping my licence.

It will get worse for the BBC, youngsters don't have so much of this conditioning - plus there's so much choice. I'd suspect we may see some concessions when the charter is next up for renewal, in an attempt to stay relevant and sometime after that a restructure will happen. Just a question of when.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue May 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by Ralphred »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 amThat anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
You have to understand the legacy, There were 3 TV channels when I was born, then 4, then 5. Two of these were always run by the BBC. When they were running 2 TV channels and 4 radio stations the cost was good value for money, but as satellite and cable TV became ubiquitous the value of the the traditional UHF channels waned. When DVB became country wide (5 channels to 50 odd+ OTA) paying the BBC to watch someone else's content suddenly became unpalatable. The lack of reliance on recording to time shift, communist opinions, and streaming services will spell the end of the BBC. They could survive and become valuable again if they cut back on the chaff, but commies can't do that so they will die to streaming services, or be re-born as a private enterprise viable in a modern media landscape with much union screaming about job losses and muh racism when they shut down the BBC pidgin website and have to use meritocratic hiring practices to remain viable as a business.

Just as a POI, Top Gear used to be their biggest export, but they lost the talent by letting a producer lie to them, who took a punch for being a liar so they had to fire Clarkson, the others left and an institution died, along with it's cash cow status for the Beeb.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
User avatar
Henry Crunn
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm
Location: 56N 3W

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by Henry Crunn »

Ralphred wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:37 am
Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 amThat anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
You have to understand the legacy, There were 3 TV channels when I was born, then 4, then 5. ...
You bairn :) I remember ITV (TWW) arriving in Bristol in the mid 50's. Just.
Its not so much ITV, it was no TV for a weekend while my father fitted the tuner. That tuner was migrated from TV to TV until multi band tuners were common. With good conditions we could get a second ITV channel too (Westward).

UHF came along later to support the shift to colour. The higher resolution picture was a bonus. 625 lines instead of 405 lines.
For readers wishing to compare those numbers to modern standards, its 576i and 377i

Luckily, a lot of material was filmed (in monochrome) so moves to higher resolutions relatively easily,
Upscaled video tape, like Tony Hancock, does not fare so well.
Even so, you must watch 'The Blood Donor'. :)
--
You can't get the wood.
You can't get the 'shiver me timbers' wood' you know.
User avatar
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:29 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by mrbassie »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 am
That anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
We're 'umble.
Foor stairs
User avatar
Henry Crunn
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm
Location: 56N 3W

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by Henry Crunn »

The BBC Licence fee is to be abolished.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60014514
That will take the heat off Boris for a few min.
--
You can't get the wood.
You can't get the 'shiver me timbers' wood' you know.
User avatar
john-boy
Global Moderator
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:23 am
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by john-boy »

Was about to post this meself.

Finally ! Only thing is, the charter renewal is 2027 - got hope any change to funding is concrete with respect to whichever party is in power at the time.

A Netflix model might bring back some of the good telly that we used to have, if the writers are still there and haven't been hunted down.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
User avatar
dont_think_twice
Extreme Unicyclist
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by dont_think_twice »

john-boy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:55 pmA Netflix model might bring back some of the good telly that we used to have, if the writers are still there and haven't been hunted down.
You're dreaming if you think killing off the BBC license fee will improve the quality. BBC currently punches well about its weight - the only place to go is down.

I understand the philosophical argument for TV freedom, but don't make the mistake of US libertarians and assume that whatever maximizes freedom also leads to the best outcomes in other metrics.
User avatar
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:47 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by RoGeorge »

Less money collected from taxes means more commercials, and more junk shows to appeal to the masses, so it can only go down. The golden age of television was about 30-50 years ago, IMO. Here, in Ro, it went so low quality that I didn't watch TV at all in the last ~20 years or so.

Also from the technology standpoint, Internet offers way more features than TV broadcasting.

Not only TV turned into garbage, but the movie industry, too. Since the 90's, Hollywood only decayed. In the last 10 years or so it turned into full woke propaganda and start producing only cringe. I've stopped looking for new movies, just like at some point I've stopped watching TV. Same with the video games industry.

There are still enough good books to read, many of which were turned into audiobooks, so one can do something else while listening to a book, that's great.
User avatar
john-boy
Global Moderator
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:23 am
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by john-boy »

dont_think_twice wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:28 am
john-boy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:55 pmA Netflix model might bring back some of the good telly that we used to have, if the writers are still there and haven't been hunted down.
You're dreaming if you think killing off the BBC license fee will improve the quality. BBC currently punches well about its weight
I'll rephrase then - a Netflix type model will subject the BBC to market forces, either they produce material that people (or advertisers) want or they don't and eventually go down, or at least have various shows etc. farmed out.

Now I disagree that the BBC actually produces good material these days, it's all politicised - even historical documentaries are suffering :

linky

But good quality or no -it'll be stuff that people want to watch, so long as there is an opt-out, I'm happy either way :

more linky
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
User avatar
dont_think_twice
Extreme Unicyclist
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by dont_think_twice »

john-boy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:45 pm
dont_think_twice wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:28 am
john-boy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:55 pmA Netflix model might bring back some of the good telly that we used to have, if the writers are still there and haven't been hunted down.
You're dreaming if you think killing off the BBC license fee will improve the quality. BBC currently punches well about its weight
I'll rephrase then - a Netflix type model will subject the BBC to market forces, either they produce material that people (or advertisers) want or they don't and eventually go down, or at least have various shows etc. farmed out.
Okay, fair enough. Just don't be shocked when you learn what people really want.
Now I disagree that the BBC actually produces good material these days, it's all politicised - even historical documentaries are suffering
Sherlock was an excellent show. The Bodyguard was good. Broadchurch was excellent. Good Omens was okay.

I pay for Netflix, and get HBO Max for free, and still find that some of the best shows I watch are BBC.

One of the things I hate about American television is that it is never just done in the right amount. If a show is popular, than it is stretched as long as possible with season after season. Most of what is on Netflix is Season 6 of Some Show That Had An Interesting Premise But Is Now Just Another Boring Drama Where Everyone Double Crosses Everyone And Everyone Dates Everyone. It might take place in a hospital, or in a police department, or in a political campaign, but it doesn't really matter, because that's just background to the fact that Bob is lying to Sue and Jodie started dating Fred.

The BBC, on the other hand, seems much more willing to take a good idea, make it into a small, well produced show, and then call it a day.
User avatar
john-boy
Global Moderator
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:23 am
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by john-boy »

I've mentioned this before, I do like :

linky

Portillo is an extremely good presenter - he does railway bits and bobs from around the world and there's a long standing UK version too.

Not worth £159 a year though :)
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
User avatar
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:29 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by mrbassie »

dont_think_twice wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:28 am The BBC, on the other hand, seems much more willing to take a good idea, make it into a small, well produced show, and then call it a day.
Now then, now then.
Foor stairs
Tony0945
Creator of Opportunities
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by Tony0945 »

dont_think_twice wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:10 pm I pay for Netflix, and get HBO Max for free, and still find that some of the best shows I watch are BBC.
I subscribe to BritBox and AcornTV. Very cheap and lots of good stuff coming out of Australia.
User avatar
Naib
Site Admin
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:20 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by Naib »

john-boy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:43 pm I've mentioned this before, I do like :

linky

Portillo is an extremely good presenter - he does railway bits and bobs from around the world and there's a long standing UK version too.

Not worth £159 a year though :)
Shame he was a shite defense secretary in the 90's ;)

Don't get your hopes up that it will be scrapped... look at the details ... either some netflix content or some household levy...
if it went a subscription base their income would collapse as they have positioned themselves as an echo chamber and have pushed the entire country away. Thus to maintain the gravy train and with proponents arguing its a British institution ... it will go onto the council tax or some over levy that we all pay. Ie license fee in all but name
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
User avatar
dont_think_twice
Extreme Unicyclist
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by dont_think_twice »

Tony0945 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:27 pm
dont_think_twice wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:10 pm I pay for Netflix, and get HBO Max for free, and still find that some of the best shows I watch are BBC.
I subscribe to BritBox and AcornTV. Very cheap and lots of good stuff coming out of Australia.
We've had BritBox for a while now, but just canceled it. We watched all the good stuff, and don't have that much time to watch TV anyway, so Netflix and HBO Max are enough.
Tony0945
Creator of Opportunities
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by Tony0945 »

dont_think_twice wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:15 am We've had BritBox for a while now, but just canceled it. We watched all the good stuff, and don't have that much time to watch TV anyway, so Netflix and HBO Max are enough.
I'm retired and don't mind watching reruns of old classics. Different strokes for different folks.
User avatar
john-boy
Global Moderator
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:23 am
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by john-boy »

Naib wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 am
Don't get your hopes up that it will be scrapped... look at the details ... either some netflix content or some household levy...
The household levy is concerning. At the moment, it's relatively easy to go licence free - so long as you ignore Capita - if it's tacked onto council tax (for example), then it's going to be a bugger trying to opt-out. Even if you can.

It's all conjecture however. I haven't seen any statement from Labour regarding this and no doubt they'd want the BBC to survive.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
User avatar
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:29 am

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by mrbassie »

Foor stairs
Post Reply