Turning point battles

Philosophical Ramblings but no Monologues, Soliloquies or Blogging.
dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

Turning point battles

Post by dont_think_twice »

What are the battles upon which world history turned? My list, from the top of my head:

The fall of Constantinople - warfare changed (use of cannons), led the the realignment of Eastern Europe, caused the transition from medevial to renaissance period. Also symbolic as the final fall of the Roman Empire.

Battle of Poitiers - Charles Martel stops Islamic incursion into Christian Europe (temporarily).

Fall of Rome to the Germanic tribes - seems like it should make the list, although I’m not sure why.

Probably some Chinese battles that should be included, but I don’t know Chinese history well enough.
antae
Director of Sandbags

Re: Turning point battles

Post by antae »

dont_think_twice wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 pm Fall of Rome to the Germanic tribes - seems like it should make the list, although I’m not sure why.
I think the fall of Roman Empire and the invasion of barbarian tribes also forced resettlement of peoples - this is the period from the time when the empire was split onto Western and Eastern, till a moment when most tribes were converted into Christianity (a sign that the power of each empire was well established) - somewhere between IV and X centuries - a huge period of time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
Shta
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by Shta »

One funny thing that comes to my mind is the beginning of time* according to Slavic calendar:
5508 b.c. - Ancient Slavs** defeated ancient China, ending a war big enough to bother people on 2 continents.
2 continents, roughly 8k years ago. Quite impressive, isn't it?
Unfortunately, I can't provide source, since all evidence in baptized countries has been destroyed (by - you guessed it - the church).
AFAIR it was extracted from sources in Iran, India, Libia, Turkey etc. No idea how easy to access (by regular people) those things are; if we have anyone fluent in relevant languages, I'd be happy to see it either confirmed or refuted.

* Ancient Slavs didn't count years the way we do today; months were relevant due to the rhythm of nature, but tracking years didn't provide that much utility, and apparently there were no prior events of magnitude big enough to provide a universal base common to all people.

** The name "slav" has a common core with "słowo" which means "word". Essentially, Slavs are those who can speak. Not very original, I know.
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist

Post by RoGeorge »

dont_think_twice wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 pm What are the battles upon which world history turned?

All of them. Even the ones that never happened. Not kidding.

When people travel to the past, they worry about radically changing the present by doing something small. Few people think that they can radically change the future by doing something small in the present.